1876 Harrod’s Directory Of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxon


[Home Page]



Pavenham is a Parish 5 miles from Bedford and 2 from Oakley Railway Station, in the union and county court district of Bedford and rural deanery of Clapham, The living is a vicarage, annual value £206 with residence, in the gift of Joseph Tucker Esq. The Rev. Theodore Percival Wilson is the vicar. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have a chapel. There is a day school for boys and girls, Mr Glover, master; Miss Thompson mistress. The acreage is 1314, of which the chief owner is Joseph Tucker Esq. The population is about 497. The nearest money-order and telegraph office is Sharnbrook, post town Bedford. Reading rooms James Taylor, secretary.


Dale Dent Esq                                                                

Tucker Joseph , Esq JP the Bury

Wilson Rev Theodore Percival vicar the Vicarage

Ashpole Mrs Mary Butcher and vict “Cock Inn”

Brooks Thomas Blacksmith

Burbidge Jesse Tailor

Gestick Samuel Boot and Shoemaker

Hartridge Samuel Wheelwright

Howe Thomas , rush mat manufacturer

Hulatt Arthur Baker

Hulatt James Coal Merchant

Jolly Samuel, Baker and sub-postmaster

Odell James, Coal Merchant 

Partridge Samuel “George & Dragon”

Purser Charles, Baker

Smith Thomas , basket and wicker manufacturer, and market gardener

Underwood George Grocer and draper

Underwood Mrs Lucy, Rush mat manufacturer and shopkeeper

Wildman Matthew, Bricklayer



Brooks William, Clark Thomas, Geeves Thomas, Hulatt Daniel, Paine Jabez.


Family connections Charles Purser ?




Stagsden, is a parish 5 miles from Bedford, and 3 from Turvey railway station, in the hundred of Willey, union and county court district of Bedford, diocese of Ely, and archdeaconry of Bedford.The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. The living is a vicarage, annual value £360 with residence, in the gift of Miss Trevor; the Hon. and  Rev. A. Brodrick is the vicar. Here is a Dissenting place of worship called the Bunyan Meeting House. There is a Free school for boys and girls; Charles Thompson, master. The acreage is 8000, of which the chief owner and lady of the manner is Her Majesty the Queen. The population is about 700. The nearest money-order, telegraph office and post town is Bedford.

  Carrier to Bedford, Mon., Wed., and Sat., G. Wallenger.


Brodrick the Hon. and Rev. A., M.A. vicar, the Vicarage                                  

Bazley Charles, wheelwright

Bonney John, beer retailer

Ellis Sarah, shopkeeper

Odell James, coal dealer

Odell William, shopkeeper

Say John, baker and shoemaker

Slater Abel, beer retailer and shopkeeper

Summerlin Austin, blacksmith and vict. “Royal George”

White Jonathan, tailor



Barker John Berrill, Bury Farm

Fensom T. North End

Henman James, West End

Henman Philip Hart, Wick End

Landon W. Up End

Leaberry William, Hill Farm

Pettitt G, West End

Walker Lewis, West End

Walker W. B. Tithe Farm

Walker W.M.

Whitmee Thomas


Family connections : none




Stevington, is a parish, 5 miles from Bedford and 3 from Oakley railway station, in the hundred of Wiley, union and county court district of Bedford, diocese of Ely, archdeaconry of Bedford, and rural deanery of Clapham. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, which has recently been restored, has a tower containing 5 bell. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford. The Rev. Edward Wilson Cook is the vicar. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. There is a British School; John Sneath, master, Miriam Harpur, mistress. The acreage is 1,800, of which the chief owners are the Duke of Bedford, Joseph Tucker Esq and others. The lord of the manor is Crewe Alston, Esq. The population is about 640. Below the church is a continuous stream of water called the Holly Well, never known to have been frozen over. Here are almshouses for five poor widows, endowed with 3s. 6d. per week each. The nearest money order, telegraph office, and post town is at Bedfors.

 Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, John Sneath

 Carriers to Bedford, Wednesday and Saturday, G.Cox, G,Brown, and A.Fields, junr


Cook Rev Edward Wilson, M.A vicar, Vicarage

Scrivener Mrs

Bowyer Richard, mat maker

Brown George “George and Dragon,” and coal merchant

Cowley Jesse, boot and shoemaker

Cox George, “Red Lion,” and coal merchant

Cox Jesse, boot and shoemaker

Cox John, Shopkeeper

Cox Robert, butcher

Cox Thomas, the “Cock,” and saddle and harness maker

Fields Alexander, junr. butcher

Flavell Edmund, dairyman

Gray Thomas William, grocer and Ironmonger

Harpur Thomas F, Corn merchant

Hide William, shopkeeper

Hulett William and Sons, carpenters and wheelwrights

Hulett William, painter and plumber

Jones William, draper

Keech Issac, contractor

Pool Joseph, tailor

Pool Thomas, baker, bricklayer and builder

Raban James, miller

Ruffhead John, dealer

Ruffhead Thomas, blacksmith

Towns James, market gardner



Horrell John , the Tythe

Keech Issac

Keech John, and landowner, the Picts’ Hill farm

Robinson James Charles, and landowner Manor Farm

Robinson John William Bird

Smith Thomas Wareing

Turney Charles, and landowner


Family connections : 30th June 1917 Rose Pallant married into the Cox family, the son of the landlord at the Cock Inn. Rose later married Frederick George Seamarks.



 [Home Page]